Thursday, June 11, 2015

Today I am a happy slug

Lol hi there! So there are some day that I have tons of energy and get tons of stuff done- errands, emails, phone calls, decluttering, laundry, dishes.... And there are days like today. I have had a phone conference and texted people. I haven't even defrosted dinner. These are the days that I call myself a slug. It's getting warmer out and I need to start waking up early and napping in the day so I get things done. But since I didn't, and I feel sick, well- i am slug like. And I know that it's ok. 

My worth is NOT attached to my level of productivity. If I don't clean the kitchen floor today- I am no worse a Mom than I am if I do get to it. Now the kitchen floor does get cleaned- but it has a fluid time schedule.

The only thing I absolutely need to do every day- is figure out dinner. That's it! My boys are teenagers. I don't have to be on top of them every day anymore. And they don't NEED me like they did when they were younger. They came home, invited a friend over, popped popcorn, and are currently watching a scary movie in the basement.

They need me to do the grunt work- you know- provide the much loved snacks and laundry and dinners. And they have chores, they help out. 

But they also know that their ability or lack of ability is not why we love them. That being diligent workers is good but that they are valued anyway. At least we are doing our best to teach them this. 

It took me way too many years to learn this. I'm hoping that this will encourage all of you reading this to remember that even if you lay in bed all day you are valuable. And you are loved. And please know that there is freedom in being a happy slug. :-)

2 comments:

Please feel free to tell me what you think