Friday, January 22, 2010

Giving

I finally get giving, I think. Please understand that I try my best not to be stingy, and give when it is possible, but today changed my perspective on giving.
My youngest comes running down stairs this morning with a dollar bill in his hand and a huge smile on his face.
"What's up?"
He stops. A very serious look covers his face.
"Mom, did you hear about what happened in Haiti?"
"You mean the earthquake? Yeah, many people got hurt and homes were crushed."
He brightens up.
"It's Hats for Haiti Day so I'm bringing in money and I'm wearing a hat in school all day today!"
"You are bringing your money from your allowance?"
"Yup" I can see his proud smile- he knows he is doing something good and worthwhile!
"Wow, that's really generous!"
"Thanks Mom! Can I wear Dad's Mets hat?"
"Sure!"

God wants us to give joyfully- no matter how little we give- and be glad we did it. My son has many dollars he is saving for some important purchase. He gave a dollar to people in need. He is proud that he gave anything. I think that is really my point. Stop judging yourself about how much or little you give...A Joyful gift is more important than how much you give or how often ...
Isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. good post, Cindy. He is such a sweet kid. God loves a cheeful giver, and I'm sure Alex made Him smile today. Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. any parent who has a kid who gives her a reason to write a blog like this is a lucky parent -- but not as lucky as the kid whose parents are clearly raising him/her right! That story is "Chicken Soup" worthy. And as to your closing question/premise -- check out Maimonides 8 levels of tzedakah -- I KNOW you will remember it when you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ginnie! I think so too!
    Thanks, Steve! Actually- I must have slept through that one (although I had a great teacher) but I think this falls under #2 recipient and giver not knowing each other- right?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to tell me what you think